Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Ohio Take Two

     You may be able to guess what I am doing this very moment. Right now, I am in my usual chair with all of my blinds open looking out of the windows. And yes, I have my tea :) I should be proof reading a paper for class and getting ready for my day BUT I was craving to blog. So, instead I am writing a little something to fix my small addiction.
     This last week was one that I will absolutely remember for the rest of my life. It was a fork in the road and I worked so hard to turn one direction. Track and field has been a part of my life since the fifth grade. I remember when my friend asked me to run track with her so we could get a picture in the elementary year book, so I agreed. Who doesn't want an extra picture in the year book in the fifth grade, right? Well, when it turned out that I was the fastest fifth grade girl in the city it became more than a year book picture. Now, I am a senior in college and qualified for the track and field indoor national championships for the second year in a row. But let me tell you about the last couple of months.
   
     I had three shots to make the qualifying time for indoor nationals this year, opposed to about seven times last year. Talk about pressure. In January I ran my opening indoor meet at Boise State. In the 60 meter dash I ran an 8.22 and 200 meter dash a 26.98. Not my best times. I was frustrated. I continued two weeks later at the University of Washington to run an 8.04 in the 60 meter dash and a 26.21 in the 200 meter. I was happier than Boise, but I still threw my water in frustration. My head coach gave me a huge hug and said "Christi, you can do this. You still have next weekend. You will nail it." (We have a new coaching staff this year as well. I forgot to mention that, but they are amazing. I am still in contact with my old coach, and he is very proud of me.) The next week I worked on preparing for my last chance meet in Portland to qualify for the national championships in the 60 meter dash (I worked for the 200 meter race as well, but my heart was set on the 60). I worked so hard. My coaches worked on my drive phase, we fixed an issue that we found in my block starts, and I was mentally focused. Nothing was going to stop me. Thursday night came around and I woke up in the middle of the night with a terrible cramp in quad. I saw my chiropractor and his assistant Friday and sure enough, I strained my right quad. WHAT? As an athlete, the race or the game must go on. I was out of practice for two days and Friday I had small tears with my coach. This is what he told me, "Christi, the hay is in the barn. These two days of practice won't change tomorrow's race. You are a veteran, and you will qualify!"
     After practice that evening I drove to the mountain behind my college. I hiked to the top where I always sit when I need Jesus time. I remember going up there as a freshman to overlook the city and just think. Well, here I was a senior about to run one of the races of my life. This was a race that I had been training for ever since I was a little girl. I would jog down the streets while listening to my headphones and pretend that I was running some big race that I worked hard for. This was that race. This was that time. I sat there for a moment...I said, "God, I didn't work this hard to not qualify to be a national competitor. And I know you didn't give me this gift to settle. Show me what you gave me." I left that quiet place on the mountain remembering being a little girl and working for this race. I put my race in God's hands.
     Saturday morning came. I have never been so focused in my track career. Everyone knew that I was running for the national qualifier and even writing about it now my heart still skips a beat from my intensity. I wrapped up my quad with icey-hot and an ace bandage and warmed up for my races. I lined up for my race and set up my blocks. I looked up to see my coach on the side line. He looked me straight in the eyes from a distance and said, "You got this." I got in my blocks, the gun went off, and everything was silent. I left my opponents, crossed the finish line, and looked right over at the timing table. About 20 people surrounded the table, including my coach. A friend looked up at me with a smile, my coach raised his hands and said, "SHE NAILED IT. SHE GOT IT." The only other time I have jumped that high off the ground and screamed was last year when I qualified. But there is a huge difference between this year and last year; last year I didn't expect to go, it just happened. This year I worked, focused, and knew I could do it. And guess what...
I did it.
     My 60 meter time was a 7.80 and my 200 meter time was a 25.99. I broke my own school record in the 200 meter and tied my 60 meter time. I was 0.3 seconds off of nationals for the 200 meter but I am completely okay with that. I made the qualification in the 60 meter dash, and that was where my heart was. This past week I was also nominated Red Lion Athlete of the Week in my collegiate conference for my race performances. I now wait for Monday to travel to Geneva, Ohio for the national championships where I will compete Friday. 
Sorry for all of the typos! It is definitely time to get ready for class! AND proof read my paper :) 
Blessings.

Remember Deb? She was my first friend on campus my freshmen year. Her, Rachel, and I have been best friends since the third day of college. She qualified for nationals in the high jump. What a perfect way to end out indoor season of collegiate track and field. Ohio, you better be ready because we are unstoppable.


No comments:

Post a Comment