Sunday, December 4, 2011

Jackson's Invitational (Boise State track meet)

The Jackson's Invitational track meet went great. I am very happy with my performance!

The team and I left Friday morning at 6 a.m. I slept almost the entire way to Boise (about 7 hours of driving time). It was great! We arrived at the Idaho Center to watch the pentathletes. I got to see my friend Marie from high school. She was the anchor of my 4x100 meter relay senior year (we took second at state and still hold the record at Capital). The teams that were there to compete were Boise State, Nevada, Portland State, Stanford, Northwest Nazarene University, St. Martins, Academy of Arts, and some attached runners. The competition was awesome and a lot of the girls looked like men...I'm not kidding. Later that night we left the Idaho Center to eat. My mom joined us at the Golden Corral and the team had a blast with the dessert section (there was a new chocolate fandu machine!). We then settled into the hotel. Deb and I managed to lose the first key to our room, then lost the spare key, and finally found both :) We are blaming it on a ghost.

This is what athletes do in their spare time in their hotel rooms...

I haven't gotten any pictures of me running at the invite yet but I am sure I will soon.

I was signed up for the 60 meter, 200 meter, and 4x400 meter relay. I pr'd (personal record) in my open events breaking both of my own school records for my college and ran a great second leg of the relay. 
Last years times: 
60 m: 8.34 sec
200 m: 27.7 sec

This years times: 
60 m: 8.26 sec
200 m: 27.2 sec

I know that does not seem like a lot of time shaved off, but in sprints, when you are pushing your body to the max and it cannot go any faster, no matter how hard you try you cannot exert any more energy, it is a huge deal to pr. Now, they are not the times I am wanting by the end of the indoor season, but I am on the right track. I still have about 3 more indoor meets to go so my plan is to meet my goals. I believe we have 2 indoor meets at the University of Washington and 1 indoor meet at the University of Idaho (both NCAA Division one schools). 
My Indoor Goals: 
60 m: 7.9 sec
200 m: 26.9 sec

My Outdoor Goals: 
100 m: 12.4 sec
200 m: 25.9 sec
400 relay split: 59 sec

On top of great races, I had my great fan club. My Dad was able to come! This was his first time being able to see me run in college and I am so excited that he was able to see me run such great races!! :) My mom has never missed any meets until last year since all but one of them are out of state (and even then she has flown to many), Susanna, Mariah, my 2 pastors; Pastor Tom and Pastor Gary both made it, and so did my Aunt Cindi. I had great support. Thanks everyone!! and I love you :) 

After a long day we headed back to campus. I was in bed by midnight and woke up at 8:30 after an amazing 8.5 hours of sleep (I am learning that keeping a schedule makes me a happier person!) Alija took me out to Starbucks since he was unable to go due to his hip injury and we shared our weekend excitements (he text me during the meet saying that he was dancing around the house when he heard that I had broken both of my records! It made me extremely happy to hear that). Now it is time to continue with my finals and get ready for dead week; it starts tomorrow. Finals start Monday, December 12.  

No comments:

Post a Comment