Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Gaps

     I never was aware that this time in my day existed. Today started out by snoozing my alarm clock, waking up to eat stale captain crunch on the couch cuddled up with a warm blanket, and taking 10 minutes to get ready. Since then, two classes and chapel have passed. I have an hour and a half before my last two classes and track practice and blogging right now feels amazing! My routine changed today. I would usually be eating lunch in the cafeteria right now, but instead I took lunch to my last class, creating this empty space in my day. Empty right now is good. I walked into my apartment with no one to be found. I walked into my room and just stood by my bed. I looked at my hot coco, took a sip, walked into the living room, and thought. I chose to do nothing. I walked back in my room, grabbed my laptop, and chose to blog. This is such a great feeling. It was a pause in my day. A pause that usually does not happen.
     These gaps in days are full of nothing, and the most intimidating part about nothing is everything that comes to mind. The thought of statistics crept into my mind and I shut it out. The thought of an essay came to mind and I shut it out. I got onto facebook to see other peoples lives and decisions and I stopped looking and shut it out. Everything comes to mind when nothing is there to preoccupy the mind. We live in a place where constant movement, communication, work, and just plane business is gratified. Doing nothing is sometimes considered to be lazy and relaxing is always interrupted (at least that is the case for me). The other day someone asked a group how many different ways there are for someone to get a hold of them. I sat back and I counted how many ways I have myself. I have 6. There are 6 ways that have constant communication within my reach that someone can interrupt me with. Gaps in days are almost impossible because everyone and everything create cloudiness within gaps full of nothing. Now, I am not sure where I am going with this other than the fact that gaps in life are so important. During times of nothing are one of the best places to communicate with God, feel the Holy Spirit in your presence, think about how you are actually feeling, think about what is actually important, think clearly about things that might not make sense. Gaps are times in the day to just do exactly what you want to do. Today I chose to blog.

This is Peanut :) I found a little piece of home at a pumpkin carnival!
This is what happens after a great, yet body pushing workout.
Rachel and I tried to decorate for Halloween...we are trying again tomorrow :) 

Remember my very first blog? It was inspired by this lovely girl, Susanna! This was the same cross country meet I saw her at last year when she inspired me to create this blog. She is amazing! 

The Macklemore Concert was amazing :) 




2 comments:

  1. Okay this post deserves a comment. Very insightful. Great writing. Love it :) All so true and definitely something to take away.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Sus! :) It helps so much to just write. It is funny how you plan on writing one thing, and then you reread it and it comes out totally different then planned. It's a beautiful thing.

    ReplyDelete