Friday, October 4, 2013

Stepping Around the Cracks

     Remember the game "don't step on the crack." Well, I remember it perfectly. In grade school it was "step on the crack and you'll break your mother's back." All of us as children jumped from one step to one step, trying not to step on any cracks. We tried so hard to keep our heads up to see where we were going, but looked down at our feet at the same time to make sure we didn't break our mother's back! As we looked up, we made sure we weren't going to run into anything (or anyone in that matter) to buy time to look at the ground again to reassure ourselves that we were jumping around the cracks and not on them. We tried so hard to prevent from breaking our mother's back, hypothetically. Now, I am an adult, and this game of "don't step on the crack" seems to be a lot more real. There seems to be cracks that are unavoidable,. 
     Being a senior in college, I'm growing up. I'm not only learning about financial techniques and how to grocery shop, but I'm learning about people. People from different places and different cultures. People who don't agree with some of my decisions and thoughts and people that do. I'm growing up to learn that as I grow, I can see my younger self in someone else. I want to just tell them, "don't try that because it won't work" or "there is an easier way out to this" but of course, I can't. Even if I did they won't listen. Why? Because they need to encounter the situation on their own and learn from it. Without experience there isn't any growth. Within letting myself let other people grow, I am also learning that I also need to continue growing.
     With growing there is a process. You watch someone else go through something and maybe say, "I won't do that." Or, maybe you see someone do something that you like and think, "I'd like to try that." Either way, people grow by observation and experience. But what about there is something that you aren't sure about? What about there is something that is more intuitive than told? That is when there is a leap in faith. 
Throughout life, I have found myself not trying to step on a lot of cracks, but there are times I feel that when I try to not step on one crack, I stumble onto an even bigger one. Sometimes, we can focus so hard on the small cracks and forget to look where we are going to soon find out that there was an even bigger crack ahead of us. We can't revolve our steps around cracks in life, mainly, because we can't avoid all of them.
     So where am I going with all of this? Why am I talking about childhood games, growing up, and tripping over cracks just to trip onto a bigger one? The reason is because right now, I am finding myself tripping over cracks that I shouldn't worry about. I'm stumbling on cracks that are being created. I'm not being confident with where I am walking, when I truly should be. The amazing reality, is that I should be able to walk around the cracks blind folded, because the Holy Spirit of Jesus guides me through every obstacle. The feeling of intuition comes from God. He speaks to us in ways that we can't explain, but it's so easy for this world to be too loud so that we don't hear him.
     For the next six months,  I have decided to dedicate my time to dating Jesus. I know, that may sound a little different, but it's actually amazing. I get to have five dates a week with God, and he treats me to the Bible every day. So I am putting on my blind fold, I am walking forward, and I am taking my leap of faith to grow in the way he wants me to grow. I'm not listening to the world, I'm being confident in the decisions I make, and I'm walking around the cracks while looking towards God for guidance. 

Prayer requests:
-A dear friend has lost her grandmother. I ask for prayers to be sent her way as she is experiencing a hard time.
-My Grama Sharon had knee surgery and is having an amazing recovery. I ask for prayers that continue her strength.


No comments:

Post a Comment